Friday, December 2, 2011

Rusty


To don a pencil skirt, heeled boots and even tights on a day that I'm trying to be comfortable and causal might seem counter-intuitive to many, and especially to me when I was considering this outfit. But I can't deny that it's just a well-worn formula that always works for this body of mine, regardless of how I feel or how many pounds I've put on. (And, oooh, I've put on a few. Thank GOD for Spanx, right?)

Striped top - Dorothy Perkins / Rust infinity scarf - Dorothy Perkins / Black ponte skirt - Lane Bryant /
Belt - Talbots / Rust tights - We Love Colors / Boots - Nine West

I kept thinking about this outfit (especially since I recently remixed it for my Boston trip) and how much I appreciated the wide waistband and the comfortable ponte knit. And fabulous stripes, duh. I figured it was the perfect thing to hide, er, things and yet feel put-together at the same time. I reached for this black and cream striped top, which meant that my black ponte knit skirt would be its mate. (I also have the skirt in grey, in addition to the olive I've most often worn. Shocking, no?) Needing a pop of color, I grabbed this cozy rust-colored infinity scarf and decided to complement it with my rust-colored tights. I could have gone with black boots or booties, but I wanted a little more variation in color, so I chose my suede taupe knee-high boots and fun gold accessories.


Again, it's a far cry from the yoga pants and hoodie that I would have liked to have worn, but far more successful and, truthfully, pretty darn close to being as comfortable. I also know that, because I look better, I feel much better too. It never ceases to amaze me how that works.

Handbag - Coach (gifted)
Ring - Ruche / Earrings - Lane Bryant

Wish me luck on the Nutcracker and related holiday performance madness that commences tonight! It's a weekend I always try to wear my sartorial best, so I'll definitely be sharing the weekend's outfits next week!

15 comments:

  1. I LOVE black and white and red together! The scarf with the stripes is just so--POW! perfect--!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great look from you! I love the pop of color from the tights and scarf!

    Good luck tonight!

    luckeysgoods.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this outfit on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the infinity scarf! So very cute together!

    theleaflets.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patti_NotDeadYetStyleDecember 2, 2011 at 7:05 PM

    Black, white and red -- always fabulous and you look great! and your handbag is so fine  : >

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this outfit-has a very Parisian feel to it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. AtthepinkofperfectionJanuary 10, 2012 at 12:04 PM

    Love this outfit! The stripes with the pencil skirt and red tights, fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the stripes and love how the red tights and red scarf pull it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a cute outfit! I think the cowl is my favourite part, but then of course the stripes are awesome too. I need a scarf like that so I can do the same thing! Great outfit!

    My Growing Obsessions

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay!  The red/rust is such a classic combo with the black and white stripes, and it looks just dynamite on you.  And your instinct to add the camel boots over black ones was spot-on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like this color combo, I did stripes and red too! 
    Visiting from EBEW, cute blog! Following you now
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that black and white striped top and I love your big white ring!
    -Meaganwww.spunkychateau.com 

    ReplyDelete
  13. Trés chic! I love the stripes with the pop of rust. I can see how a stretchy pencil skirt would be comfortable. But is sure looks pulled-together!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the rusty scarf and tights. The stripe top really looks good on you too. Your hair is lovely as well. So chic!

    Cheers,
    Cathy@custom digitizing

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the rusty scarf and tights. The stripe top really looks good on you too. Your hair is lovely as well. So chic!

    Cheers,
    Cathy@custom digitizing

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! Reading what you have to say truly makes my day!