Thursday, March 10, 2011

Keeping it Simple

I stayed up way past my bedtime last night trying to figure out what I was going to wear today. It was a day that promised to be extremely eventful with its multiple and large performances, so I really wanted to wear a fantastic outfit. Not necessarily a "notice-me" outfit, but definitely one of sophistication and personality. When I finally went to bed, thinking I had an outfit that would suffice, I had plowed through at least five different options. Needless to say, I was exhausted. Well, I was even more exhausted when I woke up this morning (it has been a long week that seems barely to have begun, and the lack of sleep is not helping), and once I put on the intended outfit, I knew it was just not going to do either. So, I decided to strip back all my expectations for something "special" and keep it simple: pencil skirt, structured top, and just a few accessories.

Drape top - The Limited / Beige pencil skirt - New York & Co. / Teal skinny belt - The Limited

I've not worn this shirt before; it was a clearance find at The Limited, and in fact I kept the tags on with a possible intention of returning it. Its color is what I love most about it - it's one of those that always seem to look good on me. It has some internal structure because of an elasticized waist, and it flares out so wonderfully over my hips, but I thought I'd add a belt to add further definition and a bit more visual interest. Even though it's the same (or a very close) color, I think it gives some depth - one of the reasons I love to layer colors in the same family. I do like how I've been able to style the top, though, and the color really is fabulous, so needless to say I'm keeping it. =)


Beyond that, the pencil skirt was a no-brainer. It's my go-to item whenever I want to up my sartorial ante. If it was warmer out, I might have taken out my new open-toed nude patent pumps for a spin, but as the weather is as crappy as can be (another thing that is NOT helping me through this particular week), I went with nude nylons and pointy-toed pumps. Simple, but effective.

Handbag - Gustto "Pavia" / Nude pumps - Nine West

My ever-colorful fuchsia Gustto (which continues to brighten my day in lieu of the sun) and some funky jewelry put that final stamp of personality on the whole thing.

Occam's razor wins out again.

Ring - Banana Republic / Necklace - Banana Republic / Earrings - The Limited


3 comments:

  1. You definitely succeed in the sophisticated and chic department! Good call on keeping the top :) and i LOVE that necklace!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your necklace and bag!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! Reading what you have to say truly makes my day!