Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Spot On

I just thought of about 5 different ways to begin this post.  (I guess I opted for full disclosure, in lieu of substance.) I do tend to lean toward a stream of consciousness style of writing. I'm also, as a friend recently commented, onomatopoeic. Whether I'm writing a blog post, an email to a friend, or a dissertation chapter; whether I writing about what I'm wearing, how I feel or what I think, I try to mimic the sound of the spoken word in whatever it is that comes to my head at that moment.

I ramble musically?

I'm extraordinarily tired today. The kind of tired that results in waterworks at only remotely sentimental commercials or movie scenes. It's 11pm and I'm still up doing various and sundry things, nothing nearly important as, say - oh, the October staff schedule that I've been meaning to get out since Monday. (But I'm at home, dammit - no work at home!)  I'll start getting ready for bed here in a minute, but no doubt I'll lie awake for a few hours before I do fall asleep, and probably a crappy sleep at that.  This has been going on for about a week.  I'd like two days off in row so I can recuperate, but I'm not sure when that will happen. The busy season is upon us... Where did summer go, again?

I'm grateful at least that our apartment is clean.  Cleanliness is next to godliness - or, at least, sanity. If the place was in an state of disaster, I would be even more of a disaster.

But enough moodiness....

Photobucket

I found a new location to take pictures! And I found a setting that TAKES better pictures! So many fashion blogs I'm reading have impeccable photography, making me realize I'm SO out of my league! Maybe that's why I'm making up for it my prose? Meh? Well, my pics will never be fantastic with a Nikon Coolpix, let alone on the self-timer mode that keeps focusing the picture at my waistline. Uffda. (That's Norwegian for "oi vey.") But, it does serve its purpose.

So I opted for a wee bit of edgy today - a graphic tee, printed pencil skirt and jacket. It's actually nothing like my usual style, but that's exactly why I wanted to try it. I've been WANTING to edge up my look a bit, add a little more funk to the feminine. I dunno if I'm quite there yet or will ever be there, but here's tryin'!

White short-sleeve jacket - The Limited
graphic tee - NY&Co
Ponte knit skirt - Lane Bryant
black t-strap sandals - Banana Rebublic
Speaking of that skirt, it. is. the most comfortable. skirt. ever. I could sleep in this thing. I'm a new fan of ponte knit. The animal print of it is a bit out of my comfort zone - I typically avoid them...though as I write this I'm mentally counting all the animal print pieces in my wardrobe...Huh.  Bombshells Beauty's review of this skirt is spot on (no pun intended), though - it's a substantial pattern on its own, but not too overwhelming that it can't play well with other prints. That's why I was so keen to try it with graphic tees, and this one long hanging in my closet was the exact one I wanted to try. I like the play on black, white and grey - with just a little pop of red.



I'll just say what you're thinking, though - the eyes are on my boobs!  Yep, didn't really notice how blatant that was until I took these pictures.  I'm not yet sure if this is just fun or borderline obscene. Thoughts?

For accessories, I kept them simple and silver. I wanted to keep the outfit's focus on its prints!

Sterling silver flower ring - TJ Maxx
Silver.circle earrings - The Limited

What kinds of graphic tees are in your closet? How do you like to style them?

5 comments:

  1. You will not be surprised at all to learn that I LOVE your outfit. It looks great! I've not yet paired mine with a graphic tee, but you've inspired me to get on it. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say, I didn't notice the location of the eyes on your shirt until you pointed it out... but now that's all i can see. At least I'm looking into your eyes? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE hidden sassiness! You are inspiring me to find a shirt with a face on it now.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. anni - hey, when you "look" at it that way... =P

    sara - thanks! can't wait to see what you do with it!

    goose - face tees are ALL over the place right now. there are actually cute ones at LOFT right now..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this outfit!  Love the shirt.  I have a white tee, with black eyes and on of the eyes is winking.  The lashes have tiny black stones and it's adorable.  My sons..hate it.  Too blatant for them, but everyone else loves it.  I think your shirt, in black doesn't look so blatant.  It's sassy and fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! Reading what you have to say truly makes my day!