Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Hound's Tooth


This combination of colors and print - oh-so-perfect for fall - was pulled right from this outfit from the Banana Republic Fall Campaign. I swear there were even more images on their website at one time, but since this color palette has already been replaced by their push for teal (wha?!), I can't find them anymore. Harrumph. But anyway, houndstooth and mustard. I knew I could totally replicate this mash of wonderful textures and I wouldn't have to buy a thing. (Spoiler alert: none of it is from BR!)

Pumps - Charles by Charles David (via DSW) / Handbag - Tano
Houndstooth pencil skirt - Lane Bryant / Cardigan - Cable & Gauge (consigned) /
Camisole - eloquii / Belt - Lane Bryant

The skirt, a somewhat recent acquisition from Lane Bryant (and apparently no longer available!), is a kind of oversized houndstooth, and I was admittedly reluctant to keep the skirt on account of it at first. The pattern is normally kind of loud, but to enlarge it - uffda! So thank goodness texture and pattern is all the rage for fall... I actually want to hunt down more seasonal ways to wear the skirt, because until I landed upon that BR campaign, nothing was really striking me. Share your suggestions, if you please!


The burgundy accents were my one personal contribution, of course. As obsessed as I've been about the color, I figured it would make a great accent for the ensemble. All my fall favorites in one place!

Ring - The Limited / Earrings - Lane Bryant / Nails - Essie "Wicked" (via Ulta)


11 comments:

  1. I have this skirt, and I LOVE it. I usually pair mine with an emerald green cardi, but the mustard looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Houndstooth is huge in the south for Alabama football fans, so I see it A LOT. I were mine with red. You can layer with tights and boots. Lots of options and I think the pattern size is PERFECT! I love this outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These colors look like they were made to go together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! Black and white prints are so versatile. That skirt will also look great with pastels in the spring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this skirt as well and paired it earlier this week with a black tank and purple sweater. I liked that combination. I've also worn it with a dark turquoise and have thought about wearing it with a berry pink. I had not thought about mustard though and really like your look!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love any shade of yellow with prints.

    I think I remember an outfit you once did with a graphic t-shirt, blazer, and pencil skirt. I think it would be exciting to see you attempt a similar combo with this skirt since it is something one would normally only see as part of a more formal/dressy outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. good memory and great tip! definitely a fun way to mix prints!

    ReplyDelete
  8. is that so! interesting that such a texture would be so widespread like that... and thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! Reading what you have to say truly makes my day!