Friday, June 8, 2012

Cotton Candy


Once again, the power of pretty flexes its muscles. (Bats its eyelashes?) This time, it's a sweet coral cardigan over one of my favorite (striped!) maxi dresses (previously worn here and here), turning a relatively simple dress into a feminine delight. I felt so good in this outfit!


Often, I'm not sure how to style a maxi dress beyond the ol' denim jacket. The longer line of the maxi creates tons of proportion issues for this curvy girl, and no matter how high or low I search for great maxis, this continues to be the main reason I don't always love them on me. Maxi dresses are typically sleeveless, strappy or even completely strapless, and this really is the best way to balance out all the material at the bottom half of the body - have less material at the top. But if you're at all like me, baring all that flesh at my top half is not something I'm quick to do. Again, the denim jacket is certainly the easiest remedy, especially if you wear a shrunken or cropped style that doesn't completely cut your body in half. But what if you want to be a little more creative or feminine? Or what if, heaven help us, it's just too hot out to warrant that thick material?? Cue a thin, summer-weight cardigan.

Cardigan - LOFT / Striped maxi dress - Maurirces / Belt - The Limited /
Sandals - Bandolino (via Endless) / Handbag - Furla (via Filene's Basement)

And then it becomes a pretty familiar silhouette for me. Belted cardigan over a skirt? Well-worn territory. I considered wearing the sweater unbuttoned and unbelted, but I wanted to (re)define my waist in order to defy those maxi dress proportions. And of course, not any belt would do - how 'bout a subtle animal print to create a little pattern mixing with the stripes? Just a smidgen of pattern mixing - my favorite kind. What's great about this particular dress, too, is the embellishment at the neckline. So when worn this way, it becomes a great focal point for the outfit in itself.


All this is to say is that I felt like I hit out of the park with this look - styling a maxi in a way that didn't use a jacket as my usual crutch. I felt super feminine, comfortable and even a little chic. Good job, pink.

Ring - The Limited / Earrings - Lane Bryant


Find out if you're the winner of the $50 Kiyonna gift card! The winner has until 10am CST Saturday to claim their prize. Otherwise, I'll be choosing a new winner!

3 comments:

  1. As a curvy & petite woman I used to think I couldn't pull of a maxi dress- not so! In fact I'm wearing a maxi today and I feel great! My favorite maxi styling includes a wide stretchy belt worn just under my bust and a close-fitting cropped, short-sleeved cardi with rouched sleeves. hmmm.. it doesn't sound as good in writing as it looks in person, I swear!

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, I make maxi dresses work by choosing one with a slimmer overall fit, and especially a slim skirt with slits on the side, in a thin fabric. The slim fit lets me show off my curves and keeps me from feeling like I'm wearing a night gown. I do a larger belt and jacket that ends just before the belt to show off the hips and flat boots or strappy ankle sandals. Roll the cuffs on the jacket and add arm party! For super hot temps, I layer a tank top over the dress and tie my hair up, and add big chandelier earrings. If I do a big, full skirted maxi, I play up the drama of the exaggerated shape. Eshakti has an asymmetric striped maxi that is FAB:
    http://www.eshakti.com/Product/CL0022372/Strapless-denim-chambray-maxi-dress

    Here's a maxi from Kohls that is slimmer:
    http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/landingpages/apt9/womens/dresses/PRD~1052547/Apt+9+Striped+Racerback+Maxi+Dress.jsp

    It's much more huggy in person. And the stripes are flattering on curves.

    -maxi fan Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning out fit and the coral looks awesome on you.  I love that your are wearing a striped dress ... us curvier girls are always taught to stay away from striped and here you are totally rocking it and inspiring me to try the striped dress I saw recently.  thanks for the inspiraton ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! Reading what you have to say truly makes my day!